Westminster

History

Westminster Presbyterian Church was founded in 1892.  For over 100 years the church ministered from a location in downtown West Chester.  The congregation built and moved to a new facility at the present location in December 1993. The pipe organ and the stained-glass windows in the narthex and in the west side of the sanctuary, which were brought from the old church, remind us of our heritage. Longstanding members of the congregation provide a vital link to our past;  newer members encourage a vision of the future.  The leadership team and members of the congregation celebrate the opportunities of our life together as we seek to minister in the Lord's name.

The Church

It seems that churches, like individuals, have "peak and valley" periods in their lives. For Westminster, a mountain top experience began with the admittedly difficult decision to leave our 100- year old home in the center of West Chester to build a new church on 10 acres of farm land which had been donated by a member. Through construction of the initial three buildings, followed by the fourth building a few years later, we have been blessed by committed members who support the vision of 'Knowing Christ, Making Christ Known' in this new location.

If you were to stand in the chancel during Sunday services, you would see 900-1000 of our people on a weekly basis. They represent age groups from the very young to the very old, varieties of trades, businesses and professions. During the Thought for Children, the 3-4 dozen children who commonly stream up the aisles leave no doubt about the presence of young families. Organ and choir music are important elements of our Traditional worship and are augmented periodically by bell choirs, children's choirs and instrumentalists. Our Contemporary worship includes guitars, keyboard and drums.  Visitors are particularly welcomed at each service, then contacted individually during the following week.

The Community

The population served by the church is approximately 100,000 within a 15 mile radius. The church is located three miles south of the Borough of West Chester in a highly visible location along one of the main highways. The Borough is home to a state university as well as most major denominational churches. The public school systems are excellent and there are strong private and parochial schools as well. Our proximity to Wilmington, Delaware, Philadelphia, New York and Washington , DC provides a wealth of opportunities for culture and recreation. World renowned medical facilities are readily available.

Further information about West Chester:

www.westchesterbid.com
www.greaterwestchester.com
www.brandywinevalley.com